Full-body stretching exercises
Find Your Personal Trainer
Published: February 26, 2019
Stretching is an important part of fitness – at least try to incorporate it into every productive day. It improves your flexibility, increases circulation, and calms your nerves. All in all, it can prevent injuries and illness, but also help with a better night’s sleep. To stay flexible, follow our full-body stretching exercises by our renowned Yoga instructor Dubai. You will deepen each stretch with every exhalation, and see results in no time.
Cardio and strength training, of course, are the foundations of any solid workout. But stretching exercises are one of the most overlooked elements of a heavy workout program.
Stretching exercises are the part of the workout that’s easy to skip or do superficially. You may think you don’t have time for it, but it is the best way to start or end your day, independent of your workout.
Stretching exercises when your muscles are warm is highly beneficial:
- It builds greater flexibility and improves on vitality overall;
- It’s relaxing and relieves stress;
- Helps you get your body back to the pre-exercise state;
- It gives you a chance to reflect and feel the impact of the workout you just did.
This complete body flexibility workout is so simple, you can do it anywhere. Stretching exercises can be done everywhere — at work, when you’re watching TV or in the park. But for your unique combination of stretching exercises, choose the best private yoga instructor in Dubai who will help you improve on flexibility. Their workouts target all the major muscles of the body, including those that are chronically tight like the chest, shoulders, back, arms, hips, and legs. Follow these stretching exercises to get rid of extra tension and stress.
Warm up flex
- For these stretching exercises, you will need a chair, exercise ball, or bench.
- Warm up with five to 10 minutes of light cardio or do this after a workout or a bath when your muscles are warm.
- Hold each stretch for 10 to 30 seconds and repeat one to three times.
- Try to stretch every day if you can for better results.
Avoid exercises that cause pain or discomfort and only stretch as deep as you can. For maximum help, find the best Pilates classes in Dubai. A stretch should feel good and shouldn’t hurt. If your muscles are shaking, you need to stop for a bit and let your muscles relax.
Quad Stretching Exercises
- Stand and hold onto a wall for balance if needed.
- Grab the top of the right foot and bend your knee. This brings the foot towards the gluteus, and your knee is now pointing at the floor. You should feel a stretch right down the front of your leg.
- Squeeze your hips forward for a deeper stretch.
- Hold for 15 to 30 seconds and switch sides. Repeat one to three times.
Standing Hamstring Stretching Exercises
- Take your left foot forward and tip from the hips, keeping the back flat.
- Lower down until you feel a stretch in the back of the leg.
- Rest the hands on the upper thighs to give your back some support.
- Hold for 15 to 30 seconds and switch sides, repeating one to three times.
Chest and Shoulder Flex
- Sit or stand and clasp your hands together behind your back, arms straight.
- Lift your hands towards the ceiling, going only as high as is comfortable. You should feel a stretch in your shoulders and chest.
- Hold for 15 to 30 seconds, repeating one to three times.
If your shoulders are a little tight, just take your arms out to the sides like an airplane.
Upper Back Stretching Exercises
- Put your hands together in front of you and round your back, then press your arms away from your body to feel a stretch in your upper back.
- Make sure you contract the abs, to really get the most out of this stretch.
- Hold for 15 to 30 seconds, repeating one to three times.
One of the most important benders: The Forward Hang
Stand with your feet hip-distance apart and your knees slightly bent.
- Interlace your fingers behind your back. If you can’t do that, hold on to a dish towel. Breathe in and straighten your arms to expand your chest.
- Exhale and bend down. Hold for five deep breaths.
Stretching Exercises 101: The Runner’s Stretch
- Put your right foot forward and lower into a lunge, placing your fingertips on the floor or on two firm cushions if your hands don’t reach.
- Breathe in, and, in one motion, exhale as you straighten your right leg. Slowly return to the lunge position. Repeat four times. Switch sides.
- Open your arms out to the sides, and put them slightly behind you.
- Rotate your hands down and back to the back wall to stretch the biceps.
- Hold for 15 to 30 seconds, then repeat three times.
Stretching Exercises for Shoulders
- Put your right arm straight across your chest and twist the left hand around your elbow, gently pulling on the right arm to deepen the stretch in the shoulders.
- Try dropping the shoulder down if you’re not feeling a stretch.
- Hold for 15 to 30 seconds and switch sides, and repeat.
Sitting Down Stretching Exercises: Seated Side Stretch
- Sit or stand upright, clasping your hands straight up overhead, and face your palms to the ceiling.
- Stretch to the right, feeling a stretch down your left side. Hold then switch.
- Do each side for 15 to 30 seconds and switch sides, repeating one to three times.
Last but not least: Seated Back Twist
Sit on the floor with your legs straight.
- Bend your right knee and step your right foot over your left leg. Put your right hand on the floor, fingers pointing outward, for support. Bend your left elbow and turn to the right, placing the back of your arm against your right knee. Inhale as you sit upright.
- Breathe out as you twist, pressing your arm into your leg and looking over your right shoulder. Hold for five breaths, then slowly return to the center. Switch sides.
- Using a band will allow you to gradually go deeper into a movement without straining your muscles.
Repeating our routine everyday reduces stress, lowers blood pressure, induces higher production of serotonin and works on improving flexibility of every muscle.