What to eat on training and rest days to best support muscle growth?
Find Your Personal Trainer
Published: March 8, 2022
There are a lot of things to consider when you are on a muscle growth mission. Of course, working out is the only way to entice muscle hypertrophy. However, if you want to get the best results, you need to support that workout with proper rest and nutrition. If you are ready, in the following lines, DubaiPT will show you what to eat on training and rest days to best support muscle growth.
Besides working out, you also need to rest and eat properly if you want to grow your muscle
In theory, increasing muscle mass is simple. All you need to do is lift heavy weights and your muscles will surely grow. Now, how much your muscles will grow and how your body will look depends on whether you rest and eat properly. A good workout will get you to a certain point, that is for sure. But if you are looking for a lean and muscly look, you will need to pay close attention to what you are eating and how much rest you are getting.
When it comes to rest, you need to make sure that you are not working out every day and that you are getting at least 8 hours of good night’s sleep. When it comes to nutrition, essentially, you need to follow a muscle gain diet plan 7 days a week for the best results. However, if you are following your diet strictly, there will be occasional cheat days that you will be able to afford.
Concentrate on eating enough protein and complex carbs
When you are working out regularly and looking to gain muscle, you will need to eat healthily. However, there are certain types of food that you will eat on training and rest days to best support muscle growth. Mostly you will have to concentrate on getting enough protein and complex carbohydrates. Your body will use protein for recovery and it will be building blocks for your new muscle.
On the other hand, your body will use the carbs for energy that is necessary if you want to perform well in the gym. Of course, in addition, you will also need to take healthy fats and fibers. However, they are easier to obtain therefore concentrate on getting enough protein and carbohydrates. If you are not sure what foods you need to take to support your muscle growth, you can look for a monthly meal plan Dubai professional trainers recommend their trainees that are on the same mission as you.
Do not forget to drink enough water
One of the things that you also shouldn’t disregard is hydration. Not only that proper hydration is important during your workout, but you also need to make sure that you are taking enough fluids during rest days. Now, you will find a lot of inconsistent advice online on how you should be taking 2,3, even 4 liters of water a day. That might be suitable for some people, however, that doesn’t mean that it will suit you. How much water you need to take depends on your body mass, age, how much active you are, and many other factors. That is why the best thing is to listen to your body on this one.
So, what to eat on training and rest days to best support muscle growth?
When it comes to eating for muscle hypertrophy, the most widely accepted method is to eat 5 meals a day. Now, some people may advise you otherwise, which doesn’t mean that they are not right. However, the best sports nutrition experts currently advise that you split your food intake into 5 meals a day regardless of whether it is your workout or rest day. There are also many different splits that people follow. Nevertheless, we have prepared a simple plan on what you should eat on training and rest days to best support muscle growth assuming that you are working out 4 days a week, which is the most widely accepted split.
Monday – training day
- Get dome low-fat yogurt with raisins, cinnamon, apple, and oats for breakfast
- For snack eat a banana with some peanut butter
- Grill chicken breasts with couscous and herb salad for lunch
- For a second snack eat hummus with carrots, peppers, and cucumber
- For dinner prepare cod with oven-roasted sweet potato and vegetables
Tuesday – rest day
- Prepare breakfast with scrambled eggs, smoked salmon, and cucumber salad on the side
- For a first snack eat a full-fat yogurt with blueberries, or some other berries, and walnuts
- Make an Italian Caprese salad with mozzarella, basil, ham, and pine nuts for lunch
- For a second snack of the day eat rice cakes with banana and peanut butter
- Cook a Moroccan roasted lamb with steamed spinach and olives for dinner
Wednesday – training day
- For breakfast eat porridge with banana, mixed nuts, and berries
- For snack eat hummus on toast with smoked chicken and a fresh tomato
- Prepare prawn and rice stuffed bell pepper for lunch
- The second snack should be almond butter dates
- For dinner cook lean beef mince with whole-grain pasta and grilled vegetables
Thursday – training day
- For breakfast fry an egg on rye bread with some sliced turkey
- Mix nuts with a little bit of dark chocolate for a snack
- For lunch, you will eat vegetarian tofu and lentil curry, with vegetables, peanuts, and some coriander
- For a second snack prepare salt and vinegar roasted chickpeas with almonds
- Cook chicken breast with steamed vegetables and whole-grain noodles for training day dinner
Friday – rest day
- Prepare kale, beetroot, and feta frittata for breakfast
- Eat sweet or salty popcorn for a snack
- Cook satay pork chops with stir-fried Chinese cabbage, bok choy, and baby corn for rest day lunch
- Grab some rice cakes with avocado and smoked chicken for a snack
- Roast salmon and eats with fennel, red onion, and parsley salad with macadamia nuts for dinner
Saturday – training day
- Eat chia seed overnight pudding with banana and nuts for training day breakfast
- Grab some mixed nuts with dried mango and dates for a snack
- For lunch prepare smoked mackerel on whole-grain toast with grilled vegetables and low-fat cream cheese on the side
- Eat cinnamon and honey roasted chickpeas with cashews for a second training day snack
- For dinner cook venison steak with brown rice and stir-fried vegetables on the side
Sunday – rest day
- For Sunday breakfast prepare an omelet with avocado, spinach, and tomato
- Eat rice cakes with cottage cheese, sun-dried tomato, salt, and pepper for a snack
- For lunch oven-roast chicken thigh with lemon and roasted Mediterranean vegetables and olives on the side
- Eat a full-fat yogurt with strawberries and dark chocolate for a second snack
- Grille some tuna with pan-fried broccoli, asparagus, and peppers, a summer salad with blue cheese for a Sunday dinner
Follow this plan and stay consistent
That is what you should eat on training and rest days to best support muscle growth. Follow this plan and your muscles will surely grow, of course, assuming that you are working out properly and that you stay consistent.